Thursday, July 14, 2022

Away from Paradise

 


Away From Paradise, the Bleeding Soul!

Although most art critics and art historians consider the woodcut as the oldest form of printmaking, the truth is that thousands of years earlier, the carved Mesopotamian flat and the cylinder seals that were pressed or rolled on clay to make copies are considered the oldest known printmaking techniques.

I tried that technique when I was studying at the Cuneiform Laboratory at the History Museum at the beginning of my 20s. However, using woodcut techniques and mixed media suits the art market's demands and is more appreciated by modern art lovers.

 Woodcut printmaking also involves carving an image from the surface of a block of wood, rolling ink onto it, and taking an impression or print. However, this is not the case when I carve any piece of wood to transfer my thoughts and feelings onto the wood, because, with more colors on a flat surface as well as the carved areas, I am capable of using the wood base not only to make an impression but as the final artwork. 

In the 1993 woodcut piece and its impression, I used three logograms (Moon, City, and Foot) with contrasting colors of Red and Green to express the exile of a poet from his homeland (Paradise).

 This piece is considered among the very first pieces when I started using Logogramism in 1988 as the centerpiece of the work (as a subject and composition) in my artworks. In reality, it is not just an artwork but an important part of my bleeding soul.

www.AmerFatuhiArt.com

  

Title: Away from Paradise

Technique: Woodcut & Mixed media

Measurements: 16.5x316.5 cm | 6.5x6.5 Inches

Year: 1993

Price: $ 7,500


No comments:

Post a Comment